Restorative dentistry helps repair and restore one’s smile and oral health. But, have you ever heard of artificial tooth roots to replace missing teeth? Commonly called dental implants, these small, screw-like posts embed into the jawbone, offering a sturdy base to anchor dental restorations (like full dentures!).
Don’t let gaps in your smile keep you from living your life to the fullest. Schedule a dental implant consultation with Dr. Thomas F. Brown in Naperville, IL, by calling (630)369-3120 now!
Before undergoing dental implant treatment, it is essential for patients to be well-informed about the procedure, benefits, and potential considerations. In this blog, we explore what patients should know about dental implants before getting them.
Understanding Dental Implants
As mentioned before, tooth implants are artificial dental roots (the portion of the tooth below the gum line). Typically, dental professionals craft these artificial roots from titanium or other biocompatible materials (like zirconia). A skilled dentist or oral surgeon places the artificial roots into the jawbone where it then fuses with the bone tissue during the healing process.
Once fully healed, the implant can securely hold dental prosthetics (like crowns, bridges, and dentures) in place, making eating, speaking, and smiling a breeze!
Benefits of Dental Implants
There are many benefits, but the most commonly celebrated benefits of tooth implants include:
- Enhanced Functionality: Dental implants restore one’s natural biting and chewing abilities, allowing patients to enjoy a varied diet without restrictions.
- Improved Aesthetics: Tooth implants mimic natural teeth in both appearance and function, providing an aesthetically pleasing and seamless smile.
- Durability: With proper care and maintenance, dental implants can last for many years, making them a long-term investment in one’s oral health.
Factors to Consider
While experts believe that dental implants have an incredible success rate of around 98%, there are still a few things that patients should consider before seeking treatment, such as:
- Oral Health Evaluation: Patients considering dental implants should undergo a thorough oral health evaluation by a qualified dentist or oral surgeon. This assessment will determine the suitability of dental implants, taking into account factors such as bone density, gum health, and overall oral hygiene.
- Surgical Procedure: Dental implant placement involves a surgical procedure that may require local anesthesia or conscious sedation. It is crucial to discuss the procedure and any potential risks or complications with your dentist beforehand.
- Healing Time: After the implant placement, a healing period is necessary to allow osseointegration to occur. This process can take several months, during which temporary restorations may be used.
- Bone Density and Volume: Sufficient bone density and volume are essential for successful implant placement. If a patient lacks adequate bone structure, additional procedures (like bone grafting or sinus augmentation) may be necessary to ensure a stable foundation for the implant.
- Oral Hygiene Maintenance: Maintaining good oral hygiene is crucial for the long-term success of dental implants. Patients must commit to regular brushing, flossing, and routine dental visits to prevent infections and complications.
- Cost Considerations: Dental implants are a significant investment, and the cost may vary depending on factors such as the number of implants needed, additional procedures, and geographic location. Patients should discuss the financial aspect with their dentist and explore financing options, such as dental insurance or payment plans.
Dental Implants in Naperville, IL
It is crucial for patients to have a comprehensive understanding of the implant procedure and the long-term commitments required of them. Learn more about dental implants and your candidacy today by calling our restoration dentist in Naperville, IL, at (630) 369-3120 or by scheduling a consultation online here!