Today, it’s extraordinarily easy for us to change our appearances. From hair dye to body jewelry, we can update our appearances whenever we want. But, perhaps one of the easiest and most dramatic ways to upgrade your image is with cosmetic dentistry treatments, like porcelain veneers.
Dr. Thomas F. Brown and his caring team have years of experience helping patients get healthy, head-turning smiles. If you’re ready to explore your cosmetic dentistry options, then contact our Naperville, IL, dentist at (630) 369-3120.
Porcelain veneers are a lifelong commitment. In this blog post, we tell you how to care for porcelain veneers after treatment for extended results.
What are porcelain veneers?
Porcelain veneers are remarkably thin shells of dental-grade ceramic. A dentist permanently adheres these shells to the front surface of the teeth to effectively cover smile imperfections, such as:
- Whitening-resistant dental stains
- Minor chips and cracks
- Large gaps between the teeth (diastemas)
- Misshapen teeth
- Short teeth
- Worn teeth
Porcelain Veneers Aftercare
A set of permanent porcelain veneers are stable and ready for use as soon as you leave the dentist’s office. This means that you can freely smile, eat, and speak immediately after veneer treatment.
But, there are some precautions patients should take after veneer placement, such as:
- Use teeth as teeth: We often use our teeth as tools, but this can cause lasting damage to our smiles. Instead, only use teeth as they were intended – for chewing, speaking, and smiling!
- Bite carefully: Biting into hard foods with the front teeth may be problematic with veneers. So, try cutting hard foods into smaller bites, or use your side teeth to carefully chomp into treats.
- Protect teeth during sports and sleep: High-impact sports can leave our smiles damaged or incomplete. So, it’s important to protect your veneers and natural teeth with custom mouthguards during sports. Similarly, patients who grind their teeth at night (sleep bruxism) should keep their teeth and veneers safe with personalized night splints.
Aside from these precautions, caring for your new veneers is simple. To keep veneers in proper working order, most patients need little more than:
- Twice-daily brushing with a soft-bristled toothbrush
- Once-daily flossing
- Twice-yearly dental exams and preventive cleanings
How long do porcelain dental veneers last?
When it comes to the lifespan of your new veneers, daily upkeep is key. So, with the proper care, you may find that you can enjoy your veneers for at least 10 years.
However, some recent research suggests that increasingly more patients are enjoying their veneers for at least 20 years.
Unfortunately, however, damaged veneers require replacement, making them a lifelong commitment. Failure to replace damaged veneers may result in extreme tooth sensitivity and possible root canal infections. Luckily, porcelain is a remarkably strong material, making it an ideal, long-lasting medium for veneer treatment.
Porcelain Veneers in Naperville, IL
Are you ready to boost your self-esteem, upgrade your appearance, and strengthen your smile? Contact Dr. Thomas Brown in Naperville, IL, to see if porcelain dental veneers are right for you. Just give us a call at (630) 369-3120 or send us a brief message here to request your appointment now!